East Coast Trip 2024 - July 16
July 16: Day two in Parkers Cove, NS. A bus tour including Fort Anne National Historic Site and Port Royal Historic Site. As I mentioned yesterday, the Acadians have had a presence in Nova Scotia for centuries. Nova Scotia has a rich and varied history involving the Scotland, France and the England. We were given a long presentation at Port Anne and to do it justice, here is the link to more information that I can put in my post. (https://parks.canada.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/fortanne/culture/histoire-history#Introduction) 4 tapestries were created retelling the history over 400 years. The tapestries speak about stories of arrival and settlement, peaceful alliance and military conflict, social change and community pride. The physical setting is the tie that binds this tapestry together - a visual narrative of events and milestones that have shaped the history of Fort Anne and the surrounding area. I have included many pictures. We then had lunch at a German Bakery (and restaurant) which served either bratwurst, sauerkraut and potato salad or schnitzel, coleslaw and potato salad. Alan had the bratwurst and I had the schnitzel but we swapped the sauerkraut and coleslaw. It was a good lunch. Afterwards we headed to Port Royal which is a reconstruction (to scale and building style) built (started in 1939) of a "habitation" or compound which existed in the early 1600s. It housed Frenchmen brought over to trade furs with the locals (the Mi'kmaq) and beaver furs were the most valuable - they were needed for the making of hats popular at the time.






















Comments
Post a Comment